Help with Universal Credit
We Can Help
The benefits system is changing and many benefits are being phased out and replaced by Universal Credit.
Universal Credit is being introduced in stages. Currently, it is available to single people without children. Couples and families will be introduced at a later date. This means that only certain groups of single people can apply for Universal Credit at this stage.
If you’re already claiming benefits you don’t need to do anything now – you’ll be told what Universal Credit means for you in good time.
Which benefits are being replaced?
• Housing Benefit
• Income-based – Jobseekers Allowance
• Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support
• Child Tax Credit
• Working Tax Credit
What is changing?
• Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account
• If you don’t have a bank account then get in touch with us
• You will get one monthly payment for your whole household
• Any help you get with your rent will be included in your payment
• You will have to pay your rent yourself out of your Universal Credit payment
Claiming Universal Credit
• Claims are made online
• You can make your claim online at www.gov.uk/universalcredit
• If you don’ t have access to a computer then get in touch with us
• If you are worried that you’re IT skills aren’t good enough to claim then get in touch with us
What you need to do
• Make sure you have a bank account you can use
• Draw up a budget that includes paying your rent
• Get online to make and manage your claim
If you would like more detailed information on Universal Credit you can visit the following websites:
Alternatively if you do not have access to a computer or if you would like to discuss Universal Credit further then please contact a member of the Social Justice team on 01224 423000 or email us at email@example.com
If you also need help with setting up a bank account for monthly payments or using or accessing a computer to apply for Universal Credit online then please give us a call as this is something we can help you with.