Other Housing Options

Other Housing Options

Applying to Langstane is only one way to find a home in Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire and Moray. Unfortunately we cannot house everyone who applies to us.  One of the housing options listed below may be right for you. If you would like to discuss your housing options, please contact us on 01224 423000.

Mutual Exchange

If you are a Langstane tenant, a tenant of any Housing Association, or a tenant of any Local Authority you can apply for a mutual exchange. You can register with House Exchange. The House Exchange App is available for your phone and you can read the guide from the downloads menu. House Exchange will help you to find a tenant who is willing to swap their home for yours. Once you have found someone to exchange with, please contact us to start the Mutual Exchange process or download the Mutual Exchange application form from the downloads menu.

Please note that a mutual exchange cannot take place with the tenant of a private landlord.

Local Authority

We have an agreement with the local authorities of Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire and Moray to offer 50% of our empty properties to applicants from the Council Housing Lists.

To give you the best chance of finding affordable rented accommodation, you should apply to the local authority for the area or areas you want to live in.

Please follow these links to apply to:

Other Housing Associations

Most Langstane properties are one or two bedroom flats. If you need to find a different type of home, another Housing Association may be able to help. You can apply to any or all of the Housing Associations below by completing one application form.

  • Osprey Housing
  • Hanover Housing Association
  • Blackwood

To apply to Grampian Housing Association, Castlehill Housing Association or Sanctuary Scotland, visit Homehunt North East Scotland or telephone 01224 628101.

Market Rent

Market rent is aimed at workers who are able to meet the rent levels typical of the area they are in and want to rent rather than buy a home. Housing Associations may offer properties for market rent through a subsidiary.

The properties will be furnished and tenants will get a Short Assured Tenancy. The SAT will become a Private Residential Tenancy Agreement when the Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act is enforced.

If you are interested in market rent, you should contact your local housing association to ask if they offer this option.

Private Rent

Properties for private rent are advertised in the local press, at the Aberdeen Solicitors' Property Centre and are available through local letting agents.

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is a form of house purchase which enables you to buy a share of the value of a flat or house and pay a property charge for the remainder.  Your initial purchase can be 25%, 50% or 75% of the value of the property.  The balance of the house is owned by a Registered Social Landlord and you will pay an occupancy charge to the RSL. You can buy your home outright when your circumstances allow.

Shared Ownership is for those who want to buy their home but cannot afford to pay the full price straight away or cannot afford a big deposit.  If you do not have enough income or deposit to get a mortgage to buy outright, then Shared Ownership may be the answer.

The scheme is mainly for first time buyers, Local Authority tenants or Housing Association tenants, but home owners may be considered depending on their circumstances. If you are interested in shared ownership, please contact your Local Authority or Registered Social Landlord directly.

Mortgage to Rent

If you own your home and are in danger of having it repossessed as a result of financial difficulties you should contact The Scottish Government as they maybe able to help.  Under the Mortgage to Rent Scheme they could arrange for a social landlord such as a Housing Association or Local Authority to buy your home and for you to continue to live there as a tenant with a Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement.

For more information about this scheme follow the link to The Scottish Government’s Information Booklet  ‘Are you in danger of losing your home?