The Scottish Government is offering a loan to assist private and social sector tenants, who are having difficulties paying their rent because of COVID-19 restrictions. Please click for more information and how to apply.
The aim of the loan is to protect tenants from eviction due to rent arrears, providing short term support that allows tenants to pay rent arrears that have arisen since 01 January 2020 and/or pay up to 3 months of future rent payments. The loan is intended to provide support where other forms of financial support are unavailable. Where a tenant is eligible for other forms of support - for example Discretionary Housing Payment – then they would be expected to take these up rather than apply for this loan.
This is a loan which tenants will need to pay back, and they may be eligible for other government support which does not need to be repaid.
Other forms of support which may be available to tenants include:
- Universal Credit, which can include a housing element, which helps towards qualifying housing costs, including rent. This element replaces what was known as “housing benefit”.
- The Scottish Welfare Fund helps families and people in Scotland who are on low incomes through Crisis Grants and Community Care Grants. These grants, though they do not cover rent payments, can be given to cover the costs of an emergency, or your circumstances have changed, for example if you have recently left care.
- Tenants who get Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but still can't afford their housing costs, may be eligible for a Discretionary Housing Payment.
- Shelter Scotland, local Citizens Advice Scotland and Money Advice Service can provide money advice and welfare benefit checks and other financial support information.
- Scotland’s Financial Health Service Advice offers a range of scenarios that might affect a person’s income, with helpful links to services by council area.
If you wish to apply for the loan please click here to visit the website.
If you would like assistance in completing the application please contact David Campbell our Tenant Welfare Advisor on 01224 423086, 07833430253 or by email at email@example.com.