Other housing options


If you are homeless or in danger of losing your home please contact the Homelessness Service of the local authority in your area. As well as helping to find you temporary accommodation when you have nowhere to stay, your local authority Homelessness Service can give advice and support to help prevent you becoming homeless - by remaining in your current home or finding somewhere else to live.

Aberdeen City Council

Aberdeenshire Council

The Moray Council

Mutual Exchange

If you are a Langstane tenant, a tenant of any Housing Association, or a tenant of any Local Authority you can apply for a mutual exchange. You can register with House Exchange. The House Exchange App is available for your phone and you can read the guide from the downloads menu. House Exchange will help you to find a tenant who is willing to swap their home for yours. Once you have found someone to exchange with, please contact us to start the Mutual Exchange process or download the Mutual Exchange application form from the downloads menu.

Please note that a mutual exchange cannot take place with the tenant of a private landlord.

Local Authority

We have an agreement with the local authorities of Aberdeen City, Aberdeenshire and Moray to offer 50% of our empty properties to applicants from the Council Housing Lists.

To give you the best chance of finding affordable rented accommodation, you should apply to the local authority for the area or areas you want to live in.

Please follow these links to apply to:

Aberdeen City Council

Aberdeenshire Council

Moray Council

Other Housing Associations

Most Langstane properties are one or two bedroom flats. If you need to find a different type of home, another Housing Association may be able to help. You can apply to any or all of the Housing Associations below by completing one application form.

To apply to Grampian Housing Association, Hillcrest Housing Association, Castlehill Housing Association or Sanctuary Scotland, visit TheseHomes for more information.

Mid-Market Rent

Visit our Langstane Property Ltd page for our mid-market rent options.

Private Rent

Properties for private rent are advertised in the local press, at the Aberdeen Solicitors' Property Centre and are available through local letting agents.

Shared Ownership

Shared Ownership is a form of house purchase which enables you to buy a share of the value of a flat or house and pay a property charge for the remainder. Your initial purchase can be 25%, 50% or 75% of the value of the property. The balance of the house is owned by a Registered Social Landlord and you will pay an occupancy charge to the housing association, local authority or other social housing provider. You can buy your home outright when your circumstances allow.

Shared Ownership is for those who want to buy their home but cannot afford to pay the full price straight away or cannot afford a big deposit. If you do not have enough income or deposit to get a mortgage to buy outright, then Shared Ownership may be the answer.

The scheme is mainly for first time buyers, Local Authority tenants or Housing Association tenants, but home owners may be considered depending on their circumstances. If you are interested in shared ownership, please contact your Housing Association or local authority directly.